Thursday, August 20, 2009

WWII...Coraline and the German Gift

Deeds--On Saturday MLE and Mom came over and we celebrated Julie's Birthday. We gave her the "Secret" gift of a ticket to Germany to visit Tami over Christmas. I think she will have a great time with her sisters. We sure will miss her over Christmas. Hannah cried when she found out. But we will still celebrate Christmas, we will just do it early. I have been excited to give her this gift as we have been keeping it a secret between just Tami, Jer, MLE and I. I sure like Julie!


This week for work I had to do the Quarterly Business Review presentation. My skills at this have come a long way in a year since I was showed how to do it this time last year.

Outside our yard has been doing well this summer. Our Grass really came in this Spring. Our Butterfly bushes are like 12 feet high. We see all kinds of butterflys around them as well as hummingbirds. I took some clippings of another butterfly bush that has different color blooms and I have been growing them in a pot along with some forsythia clippings. I also dug up some of the Rose of Sharon that had seeded from last year and put them in a planter. I am going to see how they do in the planter over the winter.


Thoughts--Listening to the Audiobook about WWII. The carnage in that war was just unbelievable. As they say War is Hell. I wish I had talked more to my Grandfather about the war. I understand he did not talk about it much like many men who fought in it. He did tell me a few stories towards the end of his life. I wish I knew as much about WWII then as I do now. I would love to ask specific questions about where he was and what campaigns he was in. He did tell me the story of having the compass go out on the bomber he was on and having to fly low to the water so he could crawl out on the wing and fix it. He said they made it back to the carrier but ran out of fuel and crashed landed on the boat. I guess he mostly in the pacific theater. I will have to ask Grandma more about what he did.


Words--We watched the animated movie Coraline. It was a good movie I thought. It did get kinda creepy near the end. The soundtrack was really good so I downloaded it and I have been listening to it all week. Not sure why I just really like it and the little songs get stuck in my head.

1 comment:

Tami said...

Christmas is traditionally on Dec 25, but it can be celebrated any day. One year I was so sick I just made it home from the hospital a day or 2 before Christmas, so we celebrated it on New Year's instead. It was enjoyable and we were all still in the Christmas spirit.