DEEDS: The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. I started preparing for the 4th this year back in Nov. 2009. While on our trip to visit Todds Family in Missouri we bought the majority of our fireworks their at Hannibal MO fireworks superstore at dirt cheap prices. Then last month Sarah Todd and I made a quick run to Breezewood PA for some additional items. Ben came over on Saturday, July 3rd. We made our first run to Wal-mart that day and then afterwards "The Boys" went out behind the neighborhood went and blew up stuff for about two hours (see pictures). Todd came home from Grandmas and we demonstrated a few fireworks. Julie made a super dinner then we went to Wal-mart again for some forgotten items and then to ConeZone for Ice Cream. We got back home just as it was starting to get dark and the neighborhood was already lighting up with Mortars. So we joined in the fun and tested some of our arsenal. To finish the evening we played Zombie Fluxx with Ben(I think Ben is Larry). On July 4th we had Church and Verl Leavitt invited us to his house to light off fireworks. He has a large backyard that is primarily just a grassy field. He also has a nice back porch and swimming pool. Once we got home everyone started to arrive, Dusty, Ami, Eric, Mom and Sarah. We decided that Verl's backyard sounded much better than setting up lawn chairs in the empty street near our house. We went out again with everyone in the late afternoon and blew up some more stuff behind the neighborhood. We then had dinner and played more Zombie Fluxx. Around 7:45 we all headed over to Verl's house about 5-10 minutes away. Everyone had a great time playing in the pool and eating homemade ice cream and brownies. Todd mostly hung out with Jacob and Lauren while Dusty, Ben and I prepared the fireworks display. We started with bottle rockets right at dusk then started the show with the brick of Saturn Missiles. We then a great time all three of us firing mortars, repeaters, fountains, bottle rockets, Roman Candles etc. I would say we put on a pretty good show and everyone seemed to have a great time. The neighbors were also lighting off some powerful stuff so it made the show even more entertaining. That is until the neighbor about 200 yards away lit off a mortar that fell over and it hit him in the chest then hit the ground and exploded. The ambulance came at which point we halted our show. Turns out he was okay just got bruised really bad and possible broken clavicle. We finished the evening with sparklers and few more fireworks. Afterwards everyone headed home about 10:30. We got home and played some more Zombie Fluxx to end the evening. Ben left this morning after spending the weekend with us. It was too bad that Regina had to work but we certainly enjoyed having Ben and his water guns and zombie games for the weekend. The kids love him! All and All and AWESOME WEEKEND that was 9 Months in the making. I am already preparing for next year...
Thoughts: (Click on pictures for larger size)

Our Arsenal (I am never quite sure if we have enough fireworks...)
Crazy Uncle Ben and his Junior Pyrotechnicians
Seth holding a firecracker "Little Dynamite". He kept thinking of bigger and bigger things he wanted to blow up including houses and all wild horses.
I was able to snap a picture of a plastic water gun just as it was blowing apart in the air.
Dusty brought this old stuffed alligator that me and Ben operated on and filled with as many firecrackers, flashers and and jumping jacks as we could.
Dusty pointing out the remains of the Alligator to show to his work friends..I think the operation was a success.
Joseph firing a small roman candle at some army men.
A closeup of the same picture. After multiple pictures I was able to get one that captured the fireball being ejected (on the far left).
Eric's first Roman Candle. He shot it off reciting Harry Potter spells...

Our Arsenal (I am never quite sure if we have enough fireworks...)
Crazy Uncle Ben and his Junior Pyrotechnicians
Seth holding a firecracker "Little Dynamite". He kept thinking of bigger and bigger things he wanted to blow up including houses and all wild horses.
I was able to snap a picture of a plastic water gun just as it was blowing apart in the air.
Dusty brought this old stuffed alligator that me and Ben operated on and filled with as many firecrackers, flashers and and jumping jacks as we could.
Dusty pointing out the remains of the Alligator to show to his work friends..I think the operation was a success.
Joseph firing a small roman candle at some army men.
A closeup of the same picture. After multiple pictures I was able to get one that captured the fireball being ejected (on the far left).
Eric's first Roman Candle. He shot it off reciting Harry Potter spells...




3 comments:
I stole a picture!
BTW, my word verification is "refur".
Yeah, I posted on Steve's blog. Until one day Steve found a refur in my comment. That...wasn't..even...mine.
Sounds and looks like a really fun 4th of July! This is my favorite holiday. I wish I could have been there with everyone. I love the enthusiasm of the boys' faces you captured in the beginning pics. All the kids are always such a delight to see pictures of.
Yay for fireworks! Sounds like you had a great collection. We had a dud mortar that was scary, but luckily none tipped over and blew up on the ground. Looks like the kids had a blast!
Post a Comment